[pct-l] sealing

jomike at cot.net jomike at cot.net
Tue Nov 3 13:37:53 CST 2009

From: Jeffrey Olson <jolson at olc.edu>
Subject: Re: [pct-l] Sealing
Cc: pct-l at backcountry.net

Can  you seal yellow cheese and have it not develop mold (it'll melt I
know)?  What is the "edge" of usage for this process?  Would it keep an
orange slice from decaying for a month?  That kind of thing...

Just curious...

Jeffrey Olson
Martin, SD

The info with my new Foodsaver states refrigeration is required of cheddar and Swiss cheese.

It states sealed fruits can be stored in the freezer for 1 to 3 yrs. But it seems to me since oranges and apples can be kept in a fruit bowl for extended lengths of time, I'd be willing to bet they'd do even better sealed and require no refrigeration. Don't know how long they'd remain edible but I'd think it worth a try on your next extended trip. It does state the following needs no refrigeration at all: dry milk, dried coconut, flour, sugar, brown sugar. Anyway, just thought I'd mention some of the things I've learned since owning the food saver.

are we there yet