[pct-l] Short mileage days

dave encisco dencisco at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 3 16:53:42 CST 2009

> From: jeff.singewald at comcast.net
> Do
> other thru-hikers (or for that matter long distance section
> hikers as well), struggle with short-mileage hiking days
> after their thru-hike is over??

Damn two replies from me in one day. I haven't been this active on this list for years.

Over 10 years ago I posted either here or on the old rec.backcountry news group asking whether anyone suffers from depression after a short hiking day. I think the consensus was that I should seek help, and while I think there may be a bit of truth there, I do believe that some people, like myself, suffer from endorphin stimulus withdrawal if we stop hiking midday, begin consuming carbohydrates and continue to read our depressing novels as we bide the time.

This is far less of a problem for me now that I'm in my 50's as it has been for the last 30 years, and I must confess that I sort of occasionally like being stuck in a tent for a day while waiting out a storm. It could also be that I subconsciously choose less bleak reading material these days...or it could be that I stopped eating sugar.

Dave