[pct-l] dangers

shelly skye shelbel26 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 4 23:13:56 CST 2009

While it seems that one could be seen as negative to be aware of potential
dangers, to me it seems only practical to be aware of potential problems one
could encounter out there. For example, it could be 120 degrees out there or
it could be 32 degrees with wind chill. River crossings could be shin deep
or waist deep, it could be hot one minute and turn to hail in the next half
hour. Being prepared for events doesn't seem to me to be a negative
thing...in fact, to be responsible for oneself is to be prepared to manage
any potential events. Both physically and mentally. Knowing that
difficulties could occur, doesn't mean that they will.

I sometimes wonder if people think of adventures as being a freedom from any
kind of control, of oneself or by another. Yet to not plan to care for
oneself is to put ones care and safety onto others...an irresponsible
response in my view. But I guess other folks might disagree ;-}