[pct-l] End of Earth in 2012

Brick Robbins brick at brickrobbins.com
Thu Nov 5 18:30:04 CST 2009

On Wed, Nov 4, 2009 at 9:39 PM, Diane at Santa Barbara Hikes dot com
<diane at santabarbarahikes.com> wrote:
> Here's an example of how all the fear mongering ends up being mostly
> hype:

"mostly?"

Yes, most fears don't realize themselves. Some do. If you are not
prepared, you can die.

You don't wear a seatbelt out of fear mongering. You wear one because
sometimes accidents happen, even if you drive safely.

While I agree that the hazards in the wilderness are often less than
the hazards of civilization, they are different than most of us are
used to, and they are still hazards.

The year I did the PCT was pretty harsh (1995) so maybe I saw more
danger than some, but there is still danger even in an "easy year."
Much of the danger can be mitigated by proper planning and
preparation. If you don't carry a little fear, then you have no
motivation to prepare and plan.

And though "plans are worthless, planning is everything. There is a
very great distinction because when you are planning for an emergency
you must start with this one thing: the very definition of 'emergency'
is that it is unexpected, therefore it is not going to happen the way
you are planning." (yes that is a quote)