[pct-l] End of Earth in 2012

Patrick Beggan meta474 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 5 19:00:54 CST 2009

Fearmongering happens on the PCT. It doesn't matter if there's a few
grains of truth in the details, it is nonetheless still fearmongering.
When you get out there and hike the PCT instead of "planning" all the
time, you come to realize that it is not a big deal and everything
you've ever heard about trail conditions is a gross exaggeration.

Should you be aware of danger and try and be safe? Of course. Should
you have a 50-stage plan and let fear run your hike? No way. Not once
on the PCT either time did I concern myself when people started
worrying about conditions and it always worked out.

I entered the Sierras June 3rd of this year, in the midst of the
"terrifying" weather that had people waiting at kennedy meadows for up
to 2 weeks and you know what? It wasn't bad at all. Sure, it was a
little chilly, yeah we had some snow (6-12 inches at one point) but
that just made it more fun. Stick together with other hikers in
sketchy situations and make sane decisions and you'll be fine.
Otherwise, don't worry about it.