[pct-l] distressing info about section d

ed faubert edfaubert at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 6 15:56:13 CST 2009

Meadow Ed here

Good point but lets consider a few differences here. A lot of what was burned was chaparral which has amazing ability to bounce back in just a short time. In fact i would almost bet  with the rain last month some new growth has already started. Then too in Yellowstone or even the Sierras you have months of cold weather with nothing being able to grow. This is not so down here in the Angles. Well Mount Gleason and some other (islands) of higher elevations were burned lots of areas below 5000 feet were also burned and so should bounce back faster. The sad thing there were many pockets of old pine trees that hadn't been burned in decades, these again will take decades to return. Some of you who hiked thru this section will remember walking thru the Penny Pines, areas of planted pine trees that was paid for with the children of LA donating their pennies to buy and plant these trees.

I am not so sure how long it will be before those of us on the south side of the San Gabriels where the fire started will even be allowed to return to it. --- On Fri, 11/6/09, Paul Magnanti <pmags at yahoo.com> wrote: