[pct-l] PCT is a flat sidewalk 18 inches wide

Dale Combs comebackwalking at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 8 22:46:07 CST 2009

Compare the PCT thru Marble Mts North to South with crossing the Marble Mts solo on secondary, unimproved trails from Wooley Creek to Lovers Camp. 10 times harder.
And there's a guy (not me) who does technical climbs, off trail, remote and obscure,
10 times harder than that. And he has friend who does stuff 10 times harder than that.
And there's a guy Big Blue who has bush pilots drop him off on remote glaciers. People
solo hike the Brooks Range....
My only point is that you have to keep a sense of perspective, there is no end all and be all, you can calibrate the difficulty of your trip according to experience and your appetite for adventure. The great thing about the PCT is the trail doesn't fade out 3 days in from your car, if you hurt yourself in the summer someone will probably be coming by soon, it helps keep the rest of the wilderness untrampled. I like to keep my adventures modest in keeping with my mediocre physical, mental, emotional strength. But I will say there's something to make your heart race when you head off the PCT trail and are on your own. And this is from a guy who is slower than the rest of you.
How many thru-hikers have minimal experience before their thru-hike starts? And they ask, "Are you a thru-hiker?" The hubris of youth.

I love the PCT and the people who hike there.

Comfy