[pct-l] 2010 section D crossing

dsaufley dsaufley at sprynet.com
Mon Nov 9 13:53:03 CST 2009

I was at a PCTA-organized WFA course this weekend at Whitewater Preserve and
had a chance to discuss this with the newest SoCal PCTA regional rep and my
(our) friend, Anitra Kass (aka NITRO). I think it's safe to share that the
PCTA is well aware of the alternatives mentioned and is working closely with
the USFS in the area to set up an alternate route for the Class of 2010.
The hope by all parties is to keep hikers on trail if at all possible, and
certainly off busy highways, so many options are being considered.  One
variable in all this is what the winter storms are going to do, and there is
much fear of mudslides, as you know. It may be premature to set the
alternate until winter has passed.

My take-away from all of this is that (a) much of Section D will be closed
next season, and (b) this is being considered by the right people within the
PCTA and USFS.  We'll know more down the line, and we will have to be
patient.

L-Rod