[pct-l] Arguing with Idiots

Diane at Santa Barbara Hikes dot com diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Mon Nov 9 18:03:37 CST 2009

I don't believe I am an idiot with my head in the sand. I'm as big a
fraidy cat as you'll ever meet, and had a pretty negative attitude to
go with it.

Still, what I discovered is that there are lots of OH MY GOD THE
WILDERNESS IS SO DANGEROUS hand-wringers before you get to the Sierra
and very few afterwards. There are also a lot of huge packs in the
Sierra and almost none afterwards. There are people who worry
terribly about heat, rain, creek crossings, snow, bears and whatever
else before the Sierra and almost none afterwards. People I met in
Washington, when I complained about the weather, said to me,
"Weather? Oh, you mean the rain? I like the rain. It makes me walk
farther." When I heard that, I realized the key to success on the PCT
is a positive attitude toward all adversity.

The longer you are on the trail the more you realize that all the
dire warnings are mostly just hype and that it's all manageable. Even
by unbalanced scardy cats who complain about everything like myself.

I still have 60 miles left to complete in the Sierra. I'll complete
it when my boyfriend can do the JMT with me. Then I will celebrate
with my PCT 2600 miler patch (even though I have hiked 3000 miles on
the PCT I don't feel I've yet earned the patch.) There are scary
creek crossings in the 60 mile section I still need to do. I'm not
afraid anymore.

So, worry all you want and keep posting that it's a dangerous Man
against Nature kind of experience. Maybe you'll post some information
that's useful to someone who has never hiked in the wilderness
before. I just want people to know that the experience really is more
a quiet, contemplative walk in the woods than a battle with nature
and don't let all the scary stories make you think it's going to be
really, really hard. The hardest thing is really just getting up and
walking day after day after day.

Diane