[pct-l] El Nino for 2010 and snow hiking

ned at pacificcrestcustombuilders.com ned at pacificcrestcustombuilders.com
Tue Nov 10 22:22:03 CST 2009

Hi, Carey!

At Mountain Education we train hikers and other outdoor enthusiasts how to
prepare for and safely conduct their own backpacking trips into the Fourth
Season. We have snowshoed the length of the Sierra during all of the winter
months, whether there was a lot of snow or just a little. So, here is our
advice regarding the "passability" of the Sierra under snow:

Unless there is a drought, you will be dealing with snow somewhere along the
trail, whether on the peaks of SoCal, along the high sierra, or in the PNW
where the pack may still be lingering once you get there, so learn how to
deal with it, either by getting out and practicing in it on your own this
winter, reading how others went through it, or attending some sort of class,
club, or other course that will teach you how. This is just being smart and
looking ahead to see what you're up against and preparing for it in whatever
way makes you feel "ready."

Whether there is 6 inches, six feet, or 20 feet, you deal with it the same,
cautiously. You suddenly can't see the trail easily, so you'll have to know
how to navigate topographically while being very careful how you place your
feet so as not to twist your ankle or slip on a buried rock or branch. The
more snow, the less you'll have to worry about rocks and branches, but you
will have to watch out for buried tree trunks, boulders,  lakes, and creeks.
As the day's heat melts the snow in the Spring, you'll need to watch out for
shaded and morning ice and afternoon postholing (hard on the ankles, knees,
and backs), not to mention the suncups and creek crossings.

Just be aware that these hazards are out there and learn how you're going to
identify and deal with them once you're there. Don't rely on "the other
hikers" to help you through the tough spots because they may not be around
when you need them. If they are, they can only tell you how to physically do
what you must. You still have to have the experience through practice, the
balance, and/or the foot/body/motor control to pull it off on your own
without getting hurt (visualize, here, crossing the icy chute below Forester
Pass or any of the white-water creek crossings within the springtime
sierra).

So, our advice is to start whenever you feel like, because you're probably
going to have snow anyway (unless there is a very light winter or a
drought). If you start early, say April 1st, you'll have more snow, but less
miles per day needed to get to Canada before the next Winter begins so you
can go slower and do more things along the way (fishing, exploring, peak
climbing, side trail hiking, photography, reading, sun-bathing, etc., etc.).

Mtnned
Mountain Education