[pct-l] Headlamps

CHUCK CHELIN steeleye at wildblue.net
Wed Nov 11 10:35:38 CST 2009

Good morning, Sasha,

Most of the time I carry one or two *Photon Freedom* LED pinch-lights at
0.26 oz. each.
http://www.photonlight.com/Photon-Freedom-Micro-Keychain-LED-Flashlights-p/fm-led-keychain-flashlight.htm

Some of them come with a little clip to attach the light to a hat, but I
don’t use it.  If I want the light on my head I just put the neck-string
around my head and move the little string slide to tighten it in place.

For walking at night I don’t prefer to have that light – or any other light
-- on my head.  I carry the light in my hand when I grip the trekking pole.
The light held low does a much better job of revealing the texture and
relief of the trail surface than does a light nearly at eye level.

The little *Freedom* has another feature I like:  The power switch provides
electronically-controlled, continuously-variable light intensity from very
low to maximum.  I don’t use a light very much, but one task is to
illuminate my paper while I write my trail journal notes before I sleep.  The
full-on power is too much for close work so I turn the illumination down to
a low setting.

I have two versions of the *Freedom:*  The standard version has the LED
extending out past the housing a bit to provide broad illumination, while
the “covert” version – which I somewhat prefer -- has a small sleeve around
the LED to shield side-light and direct the light more directly forward.

I use the white light version.  Red would be OK if there were instances
where I needed to maintain my “night vision” while using the light, but the
red light also makes my TOPO maps look a bit strange and more difficult to
read.

Steel-Eye
Hiking the Pct since before it was the PCT -- 1965
http://www.trailjournals.com/steel-eye
http://www.trailjournals.com/SteelEye09