[pct-l] Headlamps

Bill Burge bill at burge.com
Wed Nov 11 11:03:20 CST 2009

Picking a headlamp is defined by your intentions.

Map reading, pitching camp, striking camp, doing your journal after
dark, finding a place to pee in the middle of the night - these can be
accomplished with a small capacity, small battery (coin cell)
headlight with a relatively short "throw" (lights up the "here" but
not really the "over there").

For night hiking, you probably want more throw.  You probably won't be
happy with a smaller lamp.  Now you're in the realm of AA's or AAA's.
I also have wondered why there wasn't better choices without going to
2 AA's or 3AAA's.

I bought a Zebralite.  I like it a LOT and have done some night hikes
with it.  I have found that it's throw is a decent compromise with its
flood capabilities.  It has good burn time on the "campsite" levels
but only about 2 hours on a new battery.  I found little difference
between the burn time of alkaline and lithium, but if the temps drop
that would no longer be true.

http://www.zebralight.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=186

Before everyone starts whining about the price, I use this for other
things as well and...  well...  I just like cool gear, especially LED
flashlights!  (and knives, yeah! knives!  OH, and computers!  oooohhh
computers...  CAN'T forget my JEEP!  DAng!  AND WATCHES!  LOVE
WATCHES!!!  ;-)

BillB