[pct-l] Beef Jerky Recipe

Tortoise Tortoise73 at charter.net
Sun Nov 15 13:10:03 CST 2009

Last August before my hike I didn't get around to making my own jerky.
So I bought a package at Fred Myers.
As I recall, the package said something like keep refrigerated after
opening and use within ?12? days.
I opened the package and observed that the jerky was not really dry
enough to keep without refrigeration. So I spread it out on some cookie
sheets and finished drying the jerky in my over.
I think that a lot of commercial jerky is only partially dried to make
it more appealing as a snack at home where you have the refrigerator.
So if buying commercial jerky, you probably need to finish drying it.

I prefer making my own since I get the flavor I want. I generally use
just  liquid smoke  and maybe soy sauce as flavoring
After making a batch I keep it in my freezer until needed and it will
keep years that way.

Tortoise

Because truth matters"