[pct-l] Rx Sunglasses for snow/glaciers?

CHUCK CHELIN steeleye at wildblue.net
Tue Nov 17 08:28:58 CST 2009

Good morning, Deems,

I wear corrective glasses, and have at various times used prescription
sunglasses and clip-on sunglasses.  Several years ago I changed to separate,
non-prescription, sunglasses that I wear over my normal corrective
eyeglasses.  Before I retired I often wore lightweight industrial safety
glasses, and I found them comfortable, so I bought several pairs of them
with gray or #5 green lenses.   The model I use can be seen at:
http://www.professionalequipment.com/uvex-astro-otg-3001-30-ultra-dura-lens-s2508/uvex-glasses/

Features I like are:

1)    With wrap-around lenses they filter light from all directions, not
just from the front.  This is particularly useful while walking on snowpack
where light can be reflected from any direction.

2)    The wrap-around style also limits the amount of wind that can dry and
damage my eyes and, in particular, they limit the amount of wind-blown
desert dust and dirt that can hit my eyes.

3)     I equipped the ends of the temples with a light, adjustable strap to
the so I can snug the glasses in place.  Securely held in that way I could
cross areas where I might fall and tumble, such as across steep snowpack or
– most useful – while fording a creek or river without concern that I might
have my eyeglasses swept away.

4)    They are commonly available, inexpensive, and have replaceable lenses.

Less desirable features are:

1)   They weigh more than little clip-on glasses.  My safety glasses weigh
1.85 oz. while my clip-on lenses weigh 0.34 oz.

2)    They’re not particularly fashionable so I can’t go for that super-cool
fighter pilot look.  I have to stick more with the practical,
wind-in-the-face Barney Oldfield image.
3)   They’re not what “everybody else uses.”

Steel-Eye
http://www.trailjournals.com/steel-eye
http://www.trailjournals.com/SteelEye09