[pct-l] A Tale from the Trail

Matthew Edwards hetchhetchyman at aol.com
Tue Nov 17 20:34:08 CST 2009

Okay, So Shootout and Iceaxe(me) are climbing in the San Jacintos. The trail up into those mountains is beautiful and as rugged as anything on the JMT though much smaller. Anyhow, Iceaxe(Me) ran out of food and is on a strict diet of Potoato Buds and Nuun hydration tablets till we hit town(Idyllwild). And Yes, I mixed the Nuun water(Cola flavored) into the pot to rehydrate my Potato Buds.
In other words.. This is my defense for the following encounter.
Along down the trail Shootout and I run into some previous thru Hikers heading Southbound, Ratatoui and Coyote.
So they introduce themselves and when it is my turn to speak The most incredibly dumb words come out of my mouth! I said,"Coyote? Well you sure aren't Coyote Ugly!"
The words hung there in the thin air between us..
I clearly remember seeing Shootouts stunned reaction from the corner of my eye.
I have never even seen the Movie "Coyote Ugly".
I have no explaination for what the hell I just did!
In my dehydrated(Yea, that was it!) state.. I just figured what would Cactus Ed(Edward Abbey)?
"Never Apologize.. Never Explain."
So, I just went with it.
I figured Ratatui could just punch me.. I would fall down..
Heck, we would still make it in to Idyllwild and a fat lip would not stop me from eating that Pizza!(Best of the trail by the way)
Anyhow. Sorry Coyote and Ratatoui!
If is counts, I meant it as a compliment!
Dang Prettiest hiker I seen..
Oh God, Here I go again!
Cheers-Iceaxe PCT09
Sent from a Peek email device