[pct-l] Alpenstocks and Self-Arrest Poles

ned at pacificcrestcustombuilders.com ned at pacificcrestcustombuilders.com
Thu Nov 19 20:39:02 CST 2009

I'm not quite sure what AsABat was using, but he said it was an Alpenstaff,
which was a stout stick with an iron point at the end. If you have nothing
else, to jamb the point into the snow/ice to affect a self-arrest is the
right thing to do, but because of the leverage on the shaft while doing so,
the stick is likely to break.

I don't really think AsABat would take another up on the mountain the next
time!

For all practical purposes, the choice for the thru hiker would be one of
the following,

The Life-Link Guide, Variant, or Mountain Lily ski poles
http://www.garmontusa.com/310003.html

and the accessory http://www.garmontusa.com/390001.html , "The Claw" work
well in the backcountry, and
their accessory baskets are worth mentioning, either the larger, "Snowflake"
http://www.garmontusa.com/390009.html or the "Snag-Proof" Basket are
preferred in soft snow or ice

http://www.garmontusa.com/390013.html

Or, the Black Diamond Whippet self-arrest pole
http://www.blackdiamondequipment.com/en-us/shop/ski/ski-poles/whippet-self-arrest-pole

Reviews:

We have used both for years up and down the snowy Sierra. Both perform well.

The B-D used to convert back to a regular hiking stick, idea for thru hikers
before, during (convert), and after (convert back) the Sierra.

Now, the Life-Link is the only one that advertises this ability. This design
was first sold by Paul Ramer back in the late '70s and early '80s and is now
a product of Life-Link. We love this handle because of its flat, wide top,
which is great for pushing against and sitting on when resting. The narrow
steel top of the B-D is a little hard on the bare hands of the Spring
traveler.

Mtnned
Mountain Education

Please review our Forum on Postholer for other very important advice
regarding Snow Travel
http://postholer.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=25