[pct-l] Purpose of a PCT FAQ

CHUCK CHELIN steeleye at wildblue.net
Fri Nov 20 13:45:22 CST 2009

Good morning,

Hazards I see of recognized hiking sources, such as books and FAQ sites are:
1) opinions assume the dignity of fact, and, 2) their content is typically
limited to the view of one author and/or one source administrator or editor.
Information is not education:  People can – and should – look at many
sources, however it’s likely that readers who most need help are those most
likely to assume published sources have THE answers.  Think back about 10-15
years:  If we lock-steped with limited sources and opinions we would all be
eating corn pasta; and we would be tipping over outhouses and destroying
signage thereby, “… helping shove back encroaching civilization, and
hastening the ravages of time”.

Lately there has been renewed interest in the excellent “PCT Class of …”
DVDs, and they can provide a useful example.  Turn down the music and
critically look at the equipment and clothing used by hikers in Central
California, Northern California, Oregon, and Washington – sections where
most of the less-skilled hikers have weeded-out.  If limited hiking sources
were operable, almost all of the hiker-trash shown would be using
substantially the same gear and doing substantially the same things.  Such
is absolutely not the case.
Steel-Eye
http://www.trailjournals.com/steel-eye
http://www.trailjournals.com/SteelEye09