[pct-l] Trail Mapping - Bay Area Ridge Trail

J J at Ridge Trail jj at ridgetrailhiker.com
Sat Nov 21 11:58:31 CST 2009

Greetings,

Please forgive the off topic post, but this is my primary hiking community and the first place I go for related advice.

First, thanks to Ken Powers, Postholer, and Halfmile for advice and guidance early in the process. I have begun to create tracks on the Bay Area Ridge Trail, starting in my backyard: the Oakland hills. I am using a Garmin 60CSx and Garmin BaseCamp software to pull the GPX tracks off the device. Then cleaning up the tracks and saving the modified tracks for mapping using Garmin TOPO, National Geographic TOPO, and hopefully Google Maps.

The problem: I can find a lot to read about Google Maps, but cannot determine how to post a GPX track there, short of spending $400, which I prefer not to do.

Also: what is the best way to publish maps, and which kind of map is best to publish online?

Walk well,
Jim Keener ( J J )

jj at ridgetrailhiker.com
http://ridgetrailhiker.com