[pct-l] Trail Mapping - Bay Area Ridge Trail

Andrew Jones jwinm2 at yahoo.com
Sat Nov 21 15:58:15 CST 2009

Check out http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/ as well as their partner sites.

----- Original Message -----
From: "J J at Ridge Trail" <jj at ridgetrailhiker.com>
Sent: Saturday, November 21, 2009 9:58 AM
Subject: [pct-l] Trail Mapping - Bay Area Ridge Trail

Greetings,

Please forgive the off topic post, but this is my primary hiking community
and the first place I go for related advice.

First, thanks to Ken Powers, Postholer, and Halfmile for advice and guidance
early in the process. I have begun to create tracks on the Bay Area Ridge
Trail, starting in my backyard: the Oakland hills. I am using a Garmin 60CSx
and Garmin BaseCamp software to pull the GPX tracks off the device. Then
cleaning up the tracks and saving the modified tracks for mapping using
Garmin TOPO, National Geographic TOPO, and hopefully Google Maps.

The problem: I can find a lot to read about Google Maps, but cannot
determine how to post a GPX track there, short of spending $400, which I
prefer not to do.

Also: what is the best way to publish maps, and which kind of map is best to
publish online?

Walk well,
Jim Keener ( J J )

jj at ridgetrailhiker.com