[pct-l] Shoes

Spring kjssail at yahoo.com
Sat Nov 21 21:13:31 CST 2009

I can't recommend a shoe, because the ones I liked a lot are out of production.  I have big, wide feet with high arches.  I was happy with New Balance 907.  Then they turned them into 908's, which were hotter - more "protection" on the toes areas.  Now they have turned those into 910's, which are Goretex lined and thus will have even more heat included.

I also find that NB wear out very quickly, often less than 500 miles.  And, they have a reputation for being made in the US, but most are, in fact, made in China.

So that is my very personal take on NB.  I think I might check out Lowa's, which are a bit heavy, not really "trail runner", but much studier and not so hot-footed.  One thing I would recommend is to check out the shoes at a place like REI, so if you don't like them, you can return them.  I would put 100+ miles on some before deciding you really like them.

Happy hiking, Spring
happy hiking