[pct-l] My sleeping bag gained 5 ounces?

briantanzman at aol.com briantanzman at aol.com
Sun Nov 22 08:45:50 CST 2009

Can anyone explain to me why my Mountain Hardware Phantom 15 down sleeping bag now weighs 36.5 ounces? It weighed 32 ounces when I bought it (I'm positive).

I've weighed it on several different scales and am 100% sure the weights are accurate. I've had the bag for several years and hiked thousands of miles with it, but it still doesn't make sense that it gained weight. The only explanation I can think of it water weight, but the bag is dry. I put it in the dryer this morning and it lost 1.5 ounces (it actually started at 38 ounces). The bag is as dry and puffy as can be expected and still weighs 36.5 ounces. Continuing to dry it doesn't make sense since I can't do that when I am hiking.

Brian