[pct-l] Shoes

Frank Dumville fdumville at earthlink.net
Sun Nov 22 11:03:27 CST 2009

I'll second the comments about foot wear being very personal. The following aren't suggestions but what worked for me on my 1000 - 1700 mile section hikes. This was a choice that falls between the running shoe and leather hiking boot.

I used the Vasque Breeze. I used both the low and mid height variety. I have a narrow heel with wider but low volume forefoot so I have a hard time finding a good fit and these worked for me. I prefer the stiffer sole that a hiking shoe provides. These also provide good ventilation.
I buy my shoes to fit with ample room but I don't go the 2 sizes larger some recommend. My feet don't swell too much.
After over 50 years my feet also need arch support. Superfeet where too hard in the fore foot for me. Good Feet arches, which don't extend to the toe, work for me.
For socks I use a synthetic liner with a wool mix mid weight outer sock.
I used short gaiters.
With this system and well conditioned feet I never had more than a hot spot or two on my hikes.

Snap