[pct-l] a little more about shoes and stuff

Marion Davison mardav at charter.net
Sun Nov 22 13:18:43 CST 2009

A little more information:
I don't wear a pack.  Llamas carry my stuff.  That could affect my shoe
choice, compared to yours.
Like Diane, my feet are very wide in front.  So I buy a shoe that is
longer than needed because it puts the width where I need it.  A women's
ten is long enough but not wide enough.  A men's ten and a half is wide
enough at the right place, but longer than I need.  Tight lacing takes
care of that.
I consider gaiters absolutely essential.  I wear Joe Trailman gaiters
which are very much like Dirty Girl gaiters.  The old style gaiter made
of heavy nylon gave me heat rash on my ankles.  The modern light jersey
gaiters do the job without the rash.
I wear one pair of thin but cushy  short synthetic socks, such as Thorlo.
I never get any blisters and have not experienced any foot problems in
at least a decade of hiking.
Marion