[pct-l] Kick-Off/The Herd/& associated angst

Matthew Edwards hetchhetchyman at aol.com
Sun Nov 22 19:30:41 CST 2009

Hey!
I just wanted to point out a way for 2010 Thru's to avoid "pileups" at places like the Saufley's
In reality there are almost never more than 50 hikers there at a time. The timing of the Kick-Off has some concerend that a "pileup" could occur. Hey! These Folks help us from the goodness of their own hearts!
What some of us did last year 2009 was begin the week early and hitch back to the ADZPCTKO.(Yes, I conciously chose to begin before the KO.)
 TRUST ME!
 You will not have a problem with the hitch eighther way(Thanks to Evie and the "Six Pack").
I am not even going to touch on the whole "Herd" controversy. I personally never saw a problem.
Just want to offfer a suggestion. Essentially leave whenever and if neccesary hitch back to the KO.
Seriously, whenever you get to KM is gonna be Too early. As PCT thru's we hike the Sierra Hella early and atop snow. As far as timing your hike; Yea, check the snowpack, but ultimately this "Sierra Crossing" buisiness Pales in comparison to the entirety of your thru hike.
Hey, I know some folks that would love to see the likes of Donna Saufley at the KO again!
We all are adventurers, hikers,Angels,strangers. Let us tighten up as a community. Let's help our futire friends along the PCT
Anyhow, for Y'all just starting out on thePCT...!
Consider a random date. Personally, I was in the "Hella Early" catagorey. Don't matter which, I'd  just as soon started June 1... Daylate did and finished with me on Sept 12th.
You are in this for the "Long Haul" the timing of the start becomes a small variable in the face of the scope of your thru hike.
Class of 2010... You are my Heroes!
Go Thru You Fools!
I Love You Alll!
Cheers-Iceaxe PCT'09