[pct-l] Kick-Off/The Herd/& associated angst

Diane at Santa Barbara Hikes dot com diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Mon Nov 23 17:27:03 CST 2009

I won't say to the list which ones I found stressful.

A list of things I found stressful while staying at a communal hiker
location (whether at an angel house or hotel or whatever) include:
People stay up too late for me, keep the lights on, watch tv, fuss
with iphones
People talk too much
People smoke
People have serious mood issues
Too much partying and debauchery
Too many rules or procedures (not that I have any problem with rules,
but if you are afraid you might do something incorrectly, then that
is too stressful)
Too much feeling like a guest, tip-toeing around so you don't cause
anyone any trouble
Sometimes asking a question makes people irritated because they've
been asked the same question before and they act like you're an idiot
because you dumb thru-hikers never learn. But I'm new here, never
asked this question before, so give me a break.

The most restful place I stayed was in my own tent.