[pct-l] An Unsolicited Plug for Ned Tibbit's Snow Safety Course

Hernandez hernand at magicriver.net
Tue Nov 24 00:48:19 CST 2009

Howdy,

I highly recommend this course for any snow-shy folks on the list.

I took Ned's snow safety course this past April.  Even though I thru'ed the
PCT in '08, I was a little snow shy. I just didn't show it. =)  I wanted to
change that and learn and be prepared for future adventures.  So I enrolled
in Ned's course.  With Ned's guidance (along with his wife Juliee, and their
son John), I learned many facets of snow, and became much more comfortable
in powder and ice.

Among the skills you'll learn and activities you'll do are:
.	snowshowing/cross country skiing
.	snow/wilderness navigation
.	snow/wilderness route finding
.	digging a pit to read snow levels/conditions
.	looking for avalanche sign/potential
.	picking a good campsite
.	and perhaps my favorite, a team exercise making a snowcave!

So, not only will you learn a lot, but you will have a ball, and meet
fantastic people.

I took some pics, and made a public Facebook album.
Link/Address:
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=105587&id=521147782&l=f15c395834

Happy and Safe Travels All,

H.R. HuffnPuff
JMT '06
PCT '08 with Team Bad Wizard
ECT (Eastern Continental Trail) '10 (starting in January!)