[pct-l] risk reduction on swift water crossings

Diane at Santa Barbara Hikes dot com diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Tue Nov 24 22:03:39 CST 2009

On Nov 24, 2009, at 6:59 PM, pct-l-request at backcountry.net wrote:
> Technique 1:  Lie on your chest on your (buoyant) pack until you reach
> calmer water when you can make it to shore.  The pack will protect
> you from
> rocks.  Keep your feet up to prevent damage from rocks.
>
> Technique 2:  Abandon your pack and float down on your back, feet
> first.
> Use your feet to fend off rocks.

What I did:
Paiute Creek (not on the PCT)
Floated away in placid, deep water within 5 feet of shore. Creek was
20 feet wide. Kept my pack on. Rolled over on to my back. Bear can
floated me like a bobber. Paddled with my hands and feet like mad to
the other side. Grabbed a log protruding into the creek as I floated
by and was able to lower my feet and touch the ground in a thicket of
willows.

Stubblefield Creek (on the PCT)
Started floating away. Grabbed my buddy who was still able to keep
his feet on the bottom. Jammed a trekking pole into the bottom and
was able to push myself to where I could lower my feet to the bottom.

Falls Creek (on the PCT)
The creek crossing was placid and about 30 feet wide. I did not want
to swim again. Walked more than 2 miles upstream cross-country. There
was NO WAY, not with a million years of training, that I would cross
that creek as we went upstream. It would have killed me. We ended up
hiking up a side trail to Tilden Lake. The outlet to Tilden lake was
scary enough. We managed to cross the creek with some difficulty.
Then when we returned to Falls Creek it had shrunk considerably and
there was a log allowing a dry crossing. I was elated. In my opinion,
the trail does not cross the creek where it should.

Suiattle River (on the PCT in Washington)
Stopped next to the big log. Repacked my pack so that everything was
tight. Put on the pack and tightened the shoulder straps so there was
no lateral movement. Walked across the log upright with hip belt
attached and sternum strap unattached. I wanted no lateral movement
to throw me off balance.

Never would I cross without my hip belt on. They make quick release
buckles now. It's better to have the weight stabilized.

Diane