[pct-l] Tarp Experience?

Sean Nordeen sean at lifesadventures.net
Thu Nov 26 16:35:16 CST 2009

I just hiked the PCT this year with a tarp and would do it again.  I used a Mountain Laurel Designs Grace Solo Tarp in Cuben Fiber which was lighter then anything else I could find out there.  It provided more then enough space for what rain and snow I faced.

However, most of the time I just cowboy'd camped.  I also carried a 6.9oz wt MLD Superlite Bivy which provided extra weather protection, warmth, wind shield, and bug protection.  I found the bivy sack far more useful then the tarp since I used it 65% of the trip verses a handful of times for the tarp.

Bugs weren't an issue.  I wore long sleave shirt and pants that I sprayed with permethrin at Kennedy Meadows (bought at REI) that worked to keep the bugs from biting through my clothing so just wearing a headnet around camp worked.  I found that if there were other hikers around me the mosquitos would leave me completely alone and swarm them instead.  However, most mosquitos would leave when it got dark and since I pretty much get up at first ligh and hike until it almost gets dark, I never was tormented by them (well Northern Yosemite was rough but it always is).  A few times I did button myself up in my bivy sack which has a mesh opening around the face for protection, but that was pretty rare.  For the rare occasion that a few mosquitos stayed around after dark, I just wore my headnet over my baseball cap (keeps the net off the face) to bed and that worked; if you sleep on your side just turn the cap sideways.

I've been Tarp Camping since 2006 and have found most peoples fears related to it to be unfounded.  You just need to do some research on how to overcome what people think are disadvantages and get some real life experience in using them in different conditions and then you find that they aren't such big deals after all.

-Miner