[pct-l] Why Hike Wet at all?

Diane at Santa Barbara Hikes dot com diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Fri Nov 27 16:31:53 CST 2009

On Nov 27, 2009, at 10:00 AM, pct-l-request at backcountry.net wrote:

> Lastly, a journey of this scale should include the options to peak
> bag,
> go fishing, explore off trail, or spend an extra half day cleaning up
> and laying on a rock.  Some of those days might or might not involve
> rain/snow layovers, but at least if you plan for them, you'll have a
> slew of options throughout your journey that the "must make twenty
> five
> miles a day crowd" will never have.

I have to agree with this. Do take the time to explore things. I
kicked myself for not climbing the tiny side trail to see Marble
Mountain better and the 1/4 mile to see Little Crater Lake.
Fortunately, I got to see Little Crater Lake later and wow, what an
amazing thing it was!

I had a completely open-ended itinerary. Since I section-hiked and
was well-ahead of the usual time for most thru-hikers, I could have
taken lots more time. I did take a lot of zero days waiting for the
US Mail, but once I was on the trail, some kind of driven obsession
kicked in. Even thought I did not have to make twenty-five miles, I
still had to make twenty-five miles. Had to, but don't know why.

Diane