[pct-l] Fwd: 6 Pairs of shoes

Matthew Edwards hetchhetchyman at aol.com
Mon Nov 30 11:03:28 CST 2009

Sent from a Peek email device
-------------------------------------
From: Matthew Edwards<hetchhetchyman at aol.com>
To: pct-l at backcountry.net,
Subject: 6 Pairs of shoes
Date: Nov 26, 11:25 PM

I just got home from having Thanksgiving dinner with my parents. Wow! I sure have a lot to be thankful for this year! The Trail Angels,Fellow Hikers,Strangers, The People of the PCT-l,Postholer, my health, MY FEET!.. You all made me SO welcome! I had a blast this year. Thanks to YOU!
In fact, All I can think about is how much I would like to be dirty,hungry,sore, and Hiking a long trail again!
Anyhow, I am making myself cry so.. THANKS!!!
Tonight at dinner my Dad told me what everyone wanted to know at his work was :"How many pairs of shoes?"
I went through 6 pairs in 2663 miles.
5 Pairs of New Balance 570 I bought before the hike at a Big Five(Cali outdoor store) sale $35/pair.
And 1 pair of Vasque Blurs I picked up in Big Bear and pretty much totalled out in 100 miles.
As far as socks:
I destroyed 6 pair of Injinji Toe socks
8 pairs of cheap mens dress socks(Kmart)
12 pairs of Smartwool medium weight socks
4 pairs of Smartwool Lightweight socks
2 Pairs of IceBreaker ankle length wool socks
And 1 Pair of medium weight wool Wigwams
I never used gaiters so that might account for the high attrition rate amongst my socks.
The single pair of Superfeet insoles went the entire distance. I could have replaced them, infact had spares in occasional resupply boxes. I kept them cause I did not want to wreck my "Mojo"!
I am NOT suggesting anyone buy all their shoes ahead of time or use the same brand as me.
I just thought it was kinda interesting.. And it made for a really funny dinner conversation!
Lot of Love to Y'all!
Happy Thanksgiving!
Thanks Again for helping me fulfill my dream!
Cheers-Iceaxe PCT'09
Sent from a Peek email device