[pct-l] Tarp vs Tarptent

Steve McAllister brooklynkayak at gmail.com
Mon Nov 30 14:42:39 CST 2009

I use both a tarp/bivy and a tarptent from time to time.

The tarp/bivy combination is far more flexible and the combination can
be lighter depending on how big a tarp you use and how light the bivy.

A tarp/bivy can be pitched tighter, drier and warmer for extreme
weather conditions, but can also be pitched high with the bivy used
just as a ground cloth for hot summer nights.

I have found that tarptents are usually a compromise shelter. They are
good all around backpacking shelters, but in some situations the tarp
bivy may work better and be more comfortable.