[pct-l] Tarps vs tarp tent

Paul Magnanti pmags at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 30 17:39:31 CST 2009

The best page I found for setting up a tarp is at:
http://hikinghq.net/gear/tarp.html

Tarps, esp when you throw in ground cloth, stakes, parachute cord, and bug netting quickly approach the weight of a tarp tent..BUT,
a tarp is very versatile and more economical.

I used an 8x10 tarp on the PCT. The campmor tarp is 13 oz/$70.  My 6 Ti stakes were 1.5 oz total  were less than twenty bucks(can go with alum for less ), the ground cloth was a free piece of Tyvek at 3 oz and I bought some bug netting for $10/3 oz.  Add another 1 oz of parachute cord for free that I happened to have A total of ~21 oz.

This setup is less than a c-note for a shelter for two..or a palace for one.  The 24 oz tarp tent is for one..so the difference is  slight....except for the price.

However for two people?

A two person tarp-tent  (Squall 2) is 34 oz and $230.

Tarp tents are a wonderful option..but tarps still have their place for those who want a light weight, versatile shelter on a budget.

Like all pieces of gear there is no "best".  It is what is best for your needs, budget, style of camping/hiking and desires.

In the end, find what works for you.

ps. I no longer use a a tarp or a tarp tent for solo hiking. :)  (Wild Oasis is my shelter of choice now)

--Thoreau
http://www.pmags.com
http://www.redbubble.com/people/pmags/art
http://www.facebook.com/pmags