[pct-l] The hazards of hiking alone

Mountaingoat Fraser mistermountaingoat at gmail.com
Thu Oct 1 04:55:13 CDT 2009

Jeffrey, I love solitary walking but I also enjoy company for short spells
unless it starts to grate. Here's my mate Ed Abbey in the great *'Monkey
Wrench Gang'*:

*"The sensation of freedom was exhilarating, though tinged with a shade of
loneliness, a touch of sorrow. The old dream of total independence, beholden
to no man and no woman, floated above his days like smoke from a pipe
dream... For even Haydule sensed, when he faced the thing directly, that the
total loner would go insane. Was insane. Somewhere in the depths of
solitude, beyond wildness and freedom, lay the trap of madness."*

~ (Mr) Mountaingoat, Brisbane, Australia

--
And That's All the Goat Wrote