[pct-l] Heavy Snowpack Prediction

Paul Bodnar paulbodnar at hotmail.com
Thu Oct 1 13:46:39 CDT 2009

I just looked at the snow pack levels from 1958 to 2009 at Bighorn Plateau (BGH) in the High Sierra and found that the average snow pack was 60 inches.  This translates to an average Kennedy Meadows Day of June 19 (Kennedy Meadows Day= June 1 + April Snow Depth at BGH/3.5).  Looking at El Nino years, 1958, 66, 78, 88, 93, 95 and 03 I found that the snow pack was on average 71 inches, with an average Kennedy Meadows Day of June 22.  Looking at the Strong El Nino years, 1973, 83, 92, and 98 I found that the snow pack was on average 90 inches, with an average Kennedy Meadows Day of June 27.

On an encouraging note, the snow pack in 1992, a Strong El Nino year, was just 37.3 inches, a Kennedy Meadows Day of June 13.  So predicting the snow pack for any specific year based on El Nino would be difficult.  However, on average the snow pack appears to be greater on El Nino years.

Paul