[pct-l] Basecamp searched

Diane at Santa Barbara Hikes dot com diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Thu Oct 1 23:40:42 CDT 2009

On Oct 1, 2009, at 7:05 PM, pct-l-request at backcountry.net wrote:

> On Oct 1, 2009, at 2:12 PM, anna mathys wrote:
> For food, I would recommend purchasing along the way. For those
> locations along the trail where you can't really shop I recommend
> doing you're shopping at a larger town and then just shipping to
> yourself. For example you can shop in Ashland for all of Oregon and
> ship packages to yourself.  Similarly you can shop in Cascade Locks
> and ship to yourself for all of Washington.

This is what I did. Shopping along the way is the easiest way to do
it. You have a better idea how everything works once you get out
there. Just plan the first few weeks and then go with the flow the
rest of the way.

By the way, I shopped in Ashland for Oregon and Cascade Locks for
Washington. It was almost completely unnecessary. Most of the towns
and resorts in Oregon and Washington, with the exception of Elk Lake
(but Bend, OR is nearby) and Stehekin, had enough selection to do all
my shopping. Of course, I'm not Swiss and used to really tasty food.
I can get by on American food-like substances. So you may still
prefer to have a helper here to package and send your food.

Don't ship junk food! Shop for "real" food and pick up the junk food
you need at your post office town at the convenience store.