[pct-l] Sierra Nevada Mountains

Matt Thyer matt_thyer at hotmail.com
Sun Oct 4 11:58:43 CDT 2009

In that case, highly recommended book.

http://www.amazon.com/Dog-Packing-National-Parks-Service/

Hope that helps!

Matt

-----Original Message-----
From: pct-l-bounces at backcountry.net [mailto:pct-l-bounces at backcountry.net]
On Behalf Of Bob Bankhead
Sent: Sunday, October 04, 2009 9:48 AM
To: Stanley Ross; pct-l at backcountry.net
Subject: Re: [pct-l] Sierra Nevada Mountains

Unless your dog qualifies as a Service Animal, it is forbidden in the
National Parks. That will severely limit your hiking in the Sierra.

You could start north from highway 108 at Sonora Pass, through Sierra City
and Belden, but would have to get out at either Belden or Chester, before
reaching Lassen Volcanic NP.

As a side trip, add on a through-hike of the 165 mile Tahoe Rim Trail. It is
a perfect loop and runs concurrently with the PCT for about 40 miles.