[pct-l] Weather and shelter

ned at pacificcrestcustombuilders.com ned at pacificcrestcustombuilders.com
Tue Oct 6 23:02:24 CDT 2009

Kea's question is a good one, but deserves a little more light. Eric's
answer was perfect and allows Kea to find his/her own way, but I'd like to
add a bit more.

The Pacific Crest Trail winds along the Sierra and Cascade Ranges at, often,
the highest altitudes possible. The old adage, "Mountains create their own
weather," is so true. Rain doesn't often fall vertically; very often it is
accompanied with a fair amount of wind, just because of the thermal currents
rising from the valleys below (creating the clouds) as well as the air
currents immediately below the storm clouds, themselves. Thus, you get what
is called "horizontal rain." So, don't assume that your tarp will keep you
dry all the time. Also realize that if you roll yourself up in your tarp to
deal with the horizontal rain, the issue of condensation may be a problem
and you'll get wet and cold anyway.

Here at Mountain Education we promote safe, fun hikes by planning for warm
and dry, bug-free nights in tents. In the mountains, if you get wet, you may
get cold. If you are wet and cold, most people are unhappy, make poor
decisions, and aren't having fun (unless it is for a short time). Whether
during the day or night, you strive to stay dry. If you're dry, you're
usually warm and happy.

If you get wet in a creek crossing or thundershower, walk yourself dry in
sunny weather or change to dry clothes if it is already cold outside.

If you get wet at night, say from a surprise midnight storm or condensation,
you may become cold  and not sleep well. If the weather holds miserable the
next day, you might not get the chance to dry out your bag causing your next
night (or longer) to be equally wet and cold.

With a good shelter that will keep the horizontal rain and bugs out, you'll
sleep warm and dry and have a safer and happier hike! You'll have to carry a
little more weight, but you'll be happier for it in the long run. Remember,
you'll grow stronger with each passing day from the beginning of your hike
and the weight will no longer matter after week 3 or so (results will vary
per individual).

So, yes, you will get used to wind and rain at the same time and they do
affect both your safety and pleasure.

Mtnned