[pct-l] PCT Closure

Bob Bankhead wandering_bob at comcast.net
Thu Oct 8 14:31:57 CDT 2009

In August 2008, I walked south from Cottonwood Pass to Kennedy Meadows through the new burn area, right after the trail re-opened. Naturally no underbrush, but the trail signs were blackened to the point of illegibility. The bigger problem was finding the trail due to the runoff from the big water drops. We all know how the trail acts as a watercourse in heavy rains, but the water drops were so massive that the trail alone could not contain the volume, so there were multiple identically-appearing water channels paralleling the PCT. Which one was actually the trail? Fortunately, I guessed corrrectly.