[pct-l] Osprey Exos 46

be hope bh.csuchico at gmail.com
Fri Oct 9 13:57:34 CDT 2009

I left Campo during spring break with an Osprey Aether 60 (size M) [weight
about 4 pounds] and was very satisfied with how it performed. But I wanted
to go lighter and returned to the trail at mile 142 with an Exos 46 [about 2
pounds; my base weight is around 13 pounds] in May and eventually exited at
KM.  I was very pleased with all the features and comfort of the Exos 46.
The belt pockets are useful, two top zippered pockets (one external; the
other internal), and the zippered side pocket is handy; so are the
"stow-on-the-go" straps to carry hiking poles.   One time I hit the trail
with 8 liters of water. The breathable back panel seems nice, but I have
really nothing to compare it to:  similar to the Aether.   No, it will not
hold the large BearVault horizontally.    Before I bought the pack I
communicated with Osprey and they confirmed that it would go in vertically,
but not horizontally.  True, but once it is in the pack, there is not much
room for much more.  The solo BearVault fits much nicer.  Finally, the price
was right:  $143 on sale including shipping and tax.

As we know, the "right" pack is soooooo personal.  I hiked with an alumna of
the class of 02 from I-10 to Big Bear City and she had a brand new Exos 58
and it just did not work for her.

I think Bluebird also has an Exos 46 and maybe she'll comment.

Barney