[pct-l] TSA recovery...after the long hike

Reinhold Metzger reinholdmetzger at cox.net
Fri Oct 9 09:14:24 CDT 2009

Dave,
Try  "SEX".......it's a great way to burn calories and it's easy on the
legs.

JMT Reinhold
Fitness consultant
-------------------------------------

Dave wrote:
It seems there is always a lot of discussion about "training" for a thru
hike but what about when it's time to come home? Now that most of the
2009 thru hikers are off the trail what about "Trail Separation
Anxiety", (TSA) and Nutrition? I know this was a big issue with us and
as I talk to other hiker friends I find they are struggling with this
dilemma also. After months of walking we all know that our metabolism is
sky high. When we come home and are not exercising 12 hours a day we are
still hungry due to our high metabolic rate but of course not able to
burn as many calories. Some of us do not want nor need to gain back a
bunch of weight that took so long to take off. What would a personal
trainer advise in the way of healthy nutritious food that would be
fulfilling and curb ones "hiker hunger"? At this point, what is the
right percentage of calories that our run down bodies need? Of course we
can all still exercise and strength train but what is the balance the
first month or so. I understand that strength training builds muscles
which in turn burns calories more efficiently. Also I tend to believe
that it would be better to find some other form of strenuous aerobics to
burn calories rather than running or walking for a while to let the legs
and feet recover. Maybe bike riding and swimming? Is there any
professional advise out there?