[pct-l] help

Randy Fitch randy7j at gmail.com
Sat Oct 17 01:48:03 CDT 2009

I am a first time PCT hiker and plan on doing a thru hike starting in the
beginning of May 2010, and I am looking for some advice. I am really some
what new to mountain hiking in long distance and I am reading so much
material on the trail, so I would like to get some first hand feed back!!
I am looking at the Golite Quest at 3lb 3oz, and the Pinnacle at 2lb even.
Are these good packs and considering the weight difference is
the quality better for a little heavier pack? Also what is the average
suggested weight for a thru hiker to carry minus food?

And for sleeping bags, i see many people concerned with the bags getting wet
and   i am wondering where to lean on bags. Synthetic or down and can i use
the same bag for the whole trip? or should i use a quilt?

As far as cooking, me and a friend had talked about the 'Bushbuddy' and
using natural fuel resources with some back up esbit tablets. For a thru
hike is this a concern and should we consider a different fuel in favor of
the element variances?

Thanks guys

Randy