[pct-l] Help

David Thibault dthibaul07 at gmail.com
Sat Oct 17 19:31:48 CDT 2009

You probably need to try out your pack for fit.

There is no typical weight it all depends on your comfort level with your
equipment  The base weight range is probably between 5 and 20 lbs.

Generally lighter is better - but you need to be able to handle all the
conditions you might experience out there.  This past year I saw a couple of
ultra lighter's that I did not think had the skill level for the minimal
amount of gear they were carrying (IMHO).

Ask yourself, if it is 20 degrees F and raining and very windy will I be
okay with what I have?  Also what about 100 degrees and not a cloud in
sight.  You will experience both of these conditions out there.

A Down bag is fine if you keep it dry.  This is harder to do in Washington,
but not too hard in California.
Most hikers carried a down bag but there were a few carrying synthetics
also.

The Bushbuddy will work fine.  LINT carried one this year and had no
problems using it.  I believe you need to carry a fire starter for very wet
conditions (cotton ball with Vaseline will work) - note: I have not used a
Bushbuddy myself.  For the PCT an alcohol stove, canister stove, or ESBIT
stove will all work fine.  There are trade offs with each and only
experience and use can really decide the best choice for you.  For what it
is worth, after years of hiking I still haven't decided on the best stove.
Alcohol stoves are cheap and easy - if you make your own, so you should be
able to evaluate this option for very little cost before your hike.

As a data point.  My guest is 70% of PCT thru hikers use alcohol stoves, 20%
use canister, and the rest use esbit, wood or go stoveless.

Enjoy the planning,  and of course the trip -  it is a truly remarkable
experience.

Day-Late  (AT '07, PCT '09)