[pct-l] GPS and Software for Map-making

CHUCK CHELIN steeleye at wildblue.net
Tue Oct 20 21:32:41 CDT 2009

Good evening, JJ,

I’m very much a fan of Natl. Geo. TOPO! mapping software, and with that I
have a GPS receiver that will connect via a cord to the computer to
up/download track points and waypoints.  Almost any modern GPS receiver will
have that feature available.  I don’t use a fancy GPS; just a simple Garmin
Geko 201.  That will save all the track points I need for most local trail
segments.

Once I’ve uploaded the track points I often copy the list off the TOPO!
screen and paste it into Excel for convenience in editing.   Once I'm done
editing I copy and paste the data back into TOPO! for viewing.  Excel is
also a good place to store waypoints for further use.

Good luck.  Fiddling with GPS and TOPO! Is a great way to stay interested
during a long winter.

Steel-Eye

Hiking the Pct since before it was the PCT -- 1965

 http://www.trailjournals.com/steel-eye

 http://www.trailjournals.com/SteelEye09