[pct-l] Katoohla Microspikes vs instep crampons?

CHUCK CHELIN steeleye at wildblue.net
Wed Oct 21 17:01:20 CDT 2009

Good afternoon, Ralph,

I hiked over snowpack in the San Jacintos this year with several people who
used the Katoohla Microspikes, and they liked them.   The Microspike points
are only about 3/8” long while my CMI instep crampon points are over 1”
long.  However, as you say, there are more Microspikes, and the engagement
of the chain pattern also adds traction across the bottom of the foot.  The
Microspikes are shown to weigh 12.5 oz. per pair while my CMIs weigh 8.9 oz.
I can’t address the durability of the Microspikes, particularly where the
chains attache to the elastic foot wrap, but I think they would be adequate
for a thru-hiker.  If I didn't already have several pairs of CMIs I would
consider the Microspikes.  There’s a photo of my CMIs installed at:
 http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=264768

Steel-Eye

Hiking the Pct since before it was the PCT -- 1965

 http://www.trailjournals.com/steel-eye

 http://www.trailjournals.com/SteelEye09