[pct-l] crampons

Bob Bankhead wandering_bob at comcast.net
Fri Oct 23 14:36:15 CDT 2009

Ice axe self-arrest and walking in crampons are learned, not instinctive, skills. The finest gear in the world is worthless unless you know how to use it, so practice... practice... practice.

I can not imagine a thru-hiker ever needing 12 point crampons; ten points maybe, but not 12. Those extra two points on the front are for climbing vertical ice walls. This is not a skill one associates with thru-hikers. If you run into anything approaching that, you are in the wrong place. Turn around and find another way.

Think of your ice axe as a multi-functional piece of gear. It's an extra tent pole, protection from lions, tigers, and bears (oh my!) or the imagined insane serial killer/hiker dude. This makes it easier to justify the weight.

And remember, if you ever need it, nothing else will suffice. Trekking poles make nice supports to help prevent a slip but won't stop a fall once it starts.

OK, so there are no (known) tigers on the PCT. Just tossed that it for fun.