[pct-l] crampons

Diane at Santa Barbara Hikes dot com diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Fri Oct 23 15:13:14 CDT 2009

On Oct 23, 2009, at 12:56 PM, pct-l-request at backcountry.net wrote:

> Of course when glaciers calf it is kind of act of god stuff.

Glaciers? Good god! Now you tell me there are glaciers???

The only place I saw a glacier on the trail was on Goat Rocks in
Washington, and the trail was no longer on it. (The Packwood
Glacier.) I met a guy who had thru-hiked in 1977 and he was amazed
how far the glacier had receded. Global warming, he said. Now the
trail is 15 feet above the glacier and you'll be wishing it was still
on the glacier. (Solution, take the high route for a safer trail.)

I think Mtnned & Lady J gave the best description of the Sierra snow
and what kind of gear is useful. I would only add that at 135lbs I
never ever postholed on any Sierra snow except when I broke through a
little pocket. I did posthole in snow near Mt. Baden-Powell. I'd say
that the snow conditions in the San Bernardinos/San Gabriels might
actually be scarier than in the Sierras.