[pct-l] crampons

Gary Schenk gwschenk at socal.rr.com
Fri Oct 23 18:41:11 CDT 2009

On Friday 23 October 2009 12:53:04 Robert W. Freed wrote:
> I'm of the school that is better to prevent slipping than it is to try and
> save your self with a ice axe. As with all things it is probably best if
> you spend a few hundred hours of practice with each and decide what works
> best for you.

If you need to self-arrest with an axe, you're already in a world of hurt.
You've got a 50/50 chance of arresting, and you only have a few seconds to do
that. But at least you have a chance, with poles you have no chance.

Learning to climb in balance is the best thing you can do to keep yourself
safe on snow. And then learn to use the axe.