[pct-l] Yuppie 911

Matt Thyer matt_thyer at hotmail.com
Mon Oct 26 23:21:11 CDT 2009

Hum,

I'm not sure how I feel about this thread at all.  First, let me say that
I'm in no way going to suggest that any beacon should be used for
"frivolous" or unnecessary rescue.  SAR teams have way too much to do with
too few funds to do it already.

This summer when I was lucky enough to find Tazul about 200 feet below the
PCT (just north of the Kendal Catwalk above Alaska Lake) I was also forced
to rethink the whole beacon equation however.  I was lucky to find him,
lucky that I could get a cell phone call through the wilderness and about 15
miles down the valley to the nearest cell tower, and lucky that I didn't
have to move him on my own.  He was lucky that all these things came
together at exactly **that** point on the trail.

Having worked with a SAR team for a couple of years in the high country of
Colorado I can tell you that a) it's a little frustrating when you have to
pull what appears to be a moron out of the wilderness and b) the former
situation is far superior to pulling corpses out of those same locations.

Beacons represent a life-line in wild country where you're lucky to run into
a friendly face.  Even in the off chance that you get to use your beacon for
a legitimate life-saving reason it's still no guarantee of life-saving
recovery.  Knowing how to save your own butt is probably better security,
but I'm pretty certain that Tazul had this collection of skills and
knowledge, but through no fault of his own was physically unable to act.  A
beacon may have mitigated his need for assistance and prevented him from
laying on a tiny granite ledge for 10 or more hours before I happened along.

It still took hours of waiting to extraction.  He was in shock, dehydrated,
in pain, and periodically had me very worried.  Move this timeline up ten or
fifteen hours and suddenly there aren't a couple of very lonely people
concerned that they may be sharing a death experience.

Matt Thyer