[pct-l] water and walking: Steripen & batteries

Trekker4 at aol.com Trekker4 at aol.com
Tue Oct 27 10:04:14 CDT 2009

I've used a Steripen Classic for all of the PCT,  except the last 400 mi,
which I'll do next next Aug; I also used  it for the last quarter of the CO
Trail, about 125 mi. I've had  no problems with it, except once which was my
fault.

    The instructions clearly say to not get the gasket  wet; I had it in a
nylon stuff sack that got soaking wet in CO h2o got in the  battery
compartment and killed the Steripen. I called Steripen; they said  send it in with
$10; I did, and the one they sent back appeared to be brand new,  as it
didn't have the slight wear and minor scratch of my old one. I carry some
tablets as a backup.

    I also use lithium batteries, about $20 for 12 @  Sams (& prob Costco -
none within 400 mi of me). I wouldn't waste my $ on  anything but lithiums:
8 time the like of alkalines & a 15 year shelf life.  AAs also fit my
Pocketmail (considering switching to a Peek) and microcorder; I  do carry 8
spares (I know, extra wt), but if I use 4 in the Steripen &  need 2 for each of
the other 2 devices I have them. Anyhow, I'm now tracking my  actual battery
life - keeping a qt/gl count on my  Steripen.

    As an aside; I only used it 2-3 times last summer:  500 mi from Donner
Pass to Chester & Etna to Seiad Valley (08 fire makeups)  and Santiam Pass
to Trout Lake. There were plenty of springs, and water sources  <1 mi on a
map from steeply uphill. It was the first time I'd not treated  everything; I
seem to have lived through it.

Bob  "Trekker"
Big Bend Desert Denizen, and...
Naturalized Citizen - Republic  of Texas

In a message dated 10/16/2009 10:25:30 A.M. Central Daylight Time,