[pct-l] Yuppie 911

Keith Robertson surferkeith at sbcglobal.net
Tue Oct 27 13:27:13 CDT 2009

I feel it's important to comment on the Spot conversations that have been going on here. I've logged many miles sailing and for years blue water cruisers have had an EPIRB (Emergency Positioning Indicating Radio Beacon) on board itheir boat in the event of an emergency. The device is registered with the Coast Guard and in the event of an emergency (one where there is imminent danger to life and/or property) it can be activated. There are very few activations because virtually all long range cruising sailors have years of experience and know not to activate the EPIRB unless there in a situation where death may be ceratin without a rescue (i.e boat sinking 1,500 miles off shore).

Sadly, a lot of hikers are inexperienced in the wild and don't understand the repercussions of activating the emergency function on the Spot. The issue is not with the Spot, but rather with the user. A new user should be well educated as to how to use the device and to never activate the SOS function unless they are in a life or death situation. Let's hope more people start to understand this and use the device responsibly.

Handyrock